Pages

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Day 24 - Grey Seal



Grey seals are the largest living carnivore in Britain with around half the world's population living around the British coastline.  This watercolour sketch was done from one of Gary's photos taken on the Farne Islands where there is one of the largest populations of grey seals in the UK.  They were the first mammals to be protected by modern legislation - the Grey Seals Protection Act of 1914.

Grey Seals differ in appearance from the Common Seal  in that they have a longer muzzle.  The colour of the fur varies from brown to silver grey often with dark blotches.  Grey seals can dive to a depth of over 60 metres. On average they dive for around 8 minutes but are able to stay underwater for up to 30 minutes before coming up for air!

I'm feeling relieved that I'm up to date with these paitnings - only a few more days to go.  Thank you so much those of you who have been following, and supporting and well done to those of you who are also taking on this challenge - we're nearly there!!!!  

If you missed paintings 22 and 23, the hare and the mole you can find them HERE.

If you'd like to catch up with where we've been walking lately I've just posted a new blog on our joint walking site Two pairs of boots, first post in quite a while, pop over to find out why!

5 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed your series of paintings this month. I can't think of any subject that I'd enjoy more than British wildlife, and I really like your painting style! I'm curious--about how long does it take to do a painting like these? I'm going to miss them when the month comes to an end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much - I'm so pleased you're enjoying them - they vary in how long they take to be honest, some of them have been done quite quickly, the smaller sketchy ones like the brown hare - within an hour as most I have to do in the evening after work and making the tea etc. - not to mention tidying up afterwards! but others I've taken more time over when I've had the time. I'll still be painting our great British wildlife once the month comes to an end so hopefully you can still pop in and see what I'm up to.

      Delete
  2. You've captured this handsome chap beautifully, Sharon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI sharon Lovely capture of this seal. I have been on Farne and seen the seals

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great challenge and artwork Sharon. I couldn't do it. Good Luck with the rest. Well done you, not far to go now.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, thank you so much for leaving a comment - I will always try to leave a reply and pop over to visit your blog if you have one - although sometimes I may be slower than others, have a wonderful day xx