Pages

Sunday 24 June 2012

Rain, rain and more rain in the Lakes!

Well, what a day it was yesterday - what was it I said in my last post?  The weather can do what it likes!  Well it certainly did that all right - and pretty much threw everything it had at us, well not quite everything but oh my word the rain, the water, THE WIND!!!!  Flooded roads, flooded fields, flooded paths but we still got a good walk in and sauntered up Place Fell from Patterdale hoping the weather would improve as it had said in the forecast (it didn't - it got worse!).

Rather a lot of water about as we start the walk up Place Fell, Goldrill Beck has burst its banks

VERY wet and windy on the way up

 Still lots of laughter and fun and a well deserved bitter shandy and chips in the White Lion afterwards.  It was great to meet Gretchen and Linda who had travelled to the Lakes from California and had a good taste of what the Lakes can be like weather wise - but they took it all in their stride!   I also bagged another Wainwright.  For those of you who don't know  - the Wainwrights are the 214 fells in the Lake District which Alfred Wainwright spent years drawing and writing about in his infamous pictorial guides - many people make a challenge out of completing all 214 of them.  I'm somewhere in the 50's now so still got a long way to go but I would like to complete them all one day For more information on the Wainwrights see here.  Anyway, today's painting has to have lots of rain in it so here is my little girl in her summer dress, dancing in the rain which I painted in June last year, hope you like it.

Rain Dance
by Sharon Whitley the Rambling Artist


6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you Sharon... all us artistic bloggers need to stick together... just joined your site as a follower... now I'll post a link to you blog on my blog... that way I'll see your new posts. Love the photos... you should do more landscapes living in such a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Elaine and I plan to do more and to start taking my pencils and paints on my walks with me, thank you for popping by x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon....Visited here from PMP. Love your watercolors, some like Rain Dance have brilliant washes of color. Your blog is easy to follow and read. I hope to try one down the road after learning more. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here, thank you for popping across from PMP! I'm glad you think the blog is easy to follow as that is how I aim to make it although it has only just started so there's not many posts yet! You should set one up, it doesn't take long and with all the help in the group on PMP you'll have it up and running in no time!

      Delete
    2. Beautiful photos and love "Rain Dance" nice warm washes.

      Delete

I love hearing from you, thank you so much for leaving a comment - I will always try to leave a reply and pop over to visit your blog if you have one - although sometimes I may be slower than others, have a wonderful day xx