Pages

Tuesday 26 March 2013

Another rescue attempt

As my last rescue attempt with an old painting of a stag  (link here) was quite successful I thought I'd try another with a painting of two lambs I did two years ago.  The original painting was lacking in tonal values and the background wash was very patchy so I took out the background with my wonderful magic eraser (great for lifting backgrounds) and went in with stronger pigment and used white goauache in places on their cute little faces. I'm happier with this painting now and it was fun to do!


© Sharon Whitley
Spring Lambs


I've also been painting statues!  Not one of my usual subjects I know but an online artist friend runs a watercolour challenge each month on I Draw and Paint. I used to enter the challenge each month without fail when I first started painting and I learned so much just by trying subjects I wouldn't usually try and from seeing how others tackled the same subject.  I haven't been doing these challenges as much recently but I still enjoy doing them and feel I learn a lot from them.  I'm sure many of you will recognise the first statue.......


© Sharon Whitley
Liver Bird

My favourite sight in Liverpool!  I remember looking up at these in awe when I was a child.  The second statue is from a beautiful photo by Suzanne Wallick on Paint my Photo.  I was quite pleased with this but wish I'd painted it bigger as it's only quite small, but I suppose I can always do another bigger version.


© Sharon Whitley
Watching over you

Still lots of snow about but managed to get my car out of the road yesterday afternoon so I'm free to do what I want!  Hoping to get a good winter walk in on Thursday - forecast has given 80% cloud free summits woooo hoooo fingers crossed!    Hope you're all having a happy time out there whether that be painting, birding, walking, anything!    
love Sharon

11 comments:

  1. Three great paintings Sharon, the lambs are cute (of course!) but I really like the way you've painted the statues, especially the colours of the last one...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon what a wonderful rescue - your lambs are so precious and how appropriate for this time of the year. Will have to try that magic eraser...looks like a great tool for helping to recover something not liked. Also love your statues. I need to check out that challenge...looks like that just might be a great way to practice painting something different than my normal subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the textures and colours in "Watching Over You".

    ReplyDelete
  4. You not only rescued those lambs you breathed life into them! The Liver Birds used to frighten me when a child as I was worried they might fall off!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been busy! I like all of these but that final statue painting is sooo good, you really must try again only bigger!! Love the colors and textures in it (although the lambs are pretty darned cute, too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all of the paintings - the sheep are a great rescue - and the statues, full of character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second statue is truly lovely Sharon... looks like you've tried some different colours in it and they have worked fantastically, I would definitely frame this one!! Might have a go at that myself, I saw a video not long ago on the SAA about painting a statue and was tempted to have a go at one and this has spurred me on more!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All beautiful, Sharon! Those lambs are adorable. I am glad to hear that you are mobile again. I hope all of you "across the pond" get some real Spring weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both statue paintings are amazing but I have to admit that I really love that second one. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning Sharon, the little lambs are so precious and I love your angel statue. You've managed to get the weathered look quite nicely yet she still looks like she is looking down with compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing works! I really wonder how you managed to picture rust so well, that last statue is fabulous !

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, thank you so much for leaving a comment - I will always try to leave a reply and pop over to visit your blog if you have one - although sometimes I may be slower than others, have a wonderful day xx