Pages

Thursday 7 February 2013

Red Squirrel and walking in the Lakes


I've not done much painting lately, as I spent the weekend in the Lake District - photos soon to be added to Two Pairs of Boots, the blog I share with Gary.  I love red squirrels, and we do occasionally get to see them when we're up in the Lakes, fingers crossed they are starting to make a come back in parts of North Wales.  

We had a great 3 days walking up in the Lakes - it was FREEZING up high at times though, still plenty of snow around on the big ones!  This is the three of us atop Fairfield, halfway through the Fairfield Horseshoe walk, a new walk for me but one that Gary has done many times.  



I've now walked 90 of the 214 Wainwright fells.  Off out walking again tomorrow in Snowdonia and hopefully get more painting in over the weekend - first job is to tackle Gary's greylags.  Take a look at Kathryn's painting of the greylags HERE, it's wonderful! 

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend, whatever you're doing

This post is now linked to 


14 comments:

  1. Another beauty with the Red Squirrel Sharon. You keep beating me to these lovely creatures so I have to wait to get your beautiful pieces out of my head before I hear from inside how I want to tackle mine. These little critters are just so adorable. Got lots of photos from Scotland. Just waiting for the inspiration to kick in to see how I want to tackle it. Looking forward to seeing your wild birds. Guess what another subject I want to tackle eventually. Our trouble Sharon is that deep down we just love painting birds and animals... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a brilliant painting, I love red squirrels too. I think the last I saw one was in Scotland a few years ago. Now, your walk does look cold brrr, but I guess that once you get walking you warm up. I didn't realise Wainwright had done so many walks! I believe his drawings were very accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This red squirrel is adorable and painted beautifully, Sharon!!
    (love your photo as well!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful portrait of the squirrel.
    Looks like a wonderful place to walk, especially with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't look like you could see for miles up there, but well done you. The squirrel is brilliant, I don't paint or draw animals often or birds, so I admire people who do. The geese are drawn ready for painting btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brave souls out in the current conditions. Another wonderful animal portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your walking in nature gives you such a connection to painting animals Sharon, really nice squirrel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautifully painted squirrel, lovely soft tail and white belly. I love squirrels too. There is one girl who's my personal friend and we have some feeding rituals with her ... despite some occasional mischieves

    ReplyDelete
  9. Squirrel is beautiful, Sharon. Love the photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon, your squirrel is just awesome, look at how you painted that eye , and you can 'feel' how he is on the guard ! In my home in Denmark we have lots of brown squirrels, they always eat ALL my nuts from the trees , but I love them anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That's amazing squirrel is so amazingly realistic, it reminds me of illustrations in vintage botanical books. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautifully painted red squirrel-stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to visit to see the squirrel.......now I must check the other blog. I will follow you so I can see the beautiful countryside as well as your art
    Janice

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, thank you so much for leaving a comment - I will always try to leave a reply and pop over to visit your blog if you have one - although sometimes I may be slower than others, have a wonderful day xx