Pages

Sunday 28 May 2017

A trip to Skomer Island

Barry took us down to Pembrokeshire straight from work Thursday afternoon so that we would be at Martins Haven early to get tickets to Skomer Island.  It's always a worry as tickets can't be pre booked and there is always the chance that boats may be cancelled at the last minute.  We were lucky though and it turned out to be a glorious day on Skomer!  We were hoping to see the leucistic puffin that we had heard about and were thrilled that it made an appearance soon after we arrived and put on an amazing show, flying around the cliffs and landing for a while right in front of our hours so Gary was able to get some beautiful photographs.




I'm not sure if this leucism (if that's a word) affects his attractiveness to the females and whether he has bred successfully - for that matter I don't even know if he is a he!! He could be a she! If anyone knows let me know please.

As well as the unique white puffin there were of course thousands of puffins in regular plumage!  Most eggs haven't yet hatched so not many birds were seen with beakfulls of sand eels but we did spot a few.


Some lovely behaviour seen too - I love witnessing these special moments between a bonded pair.


All the above photos are taken by Gary - if you're on facebook just click the link to see more.

I love the landscape on Skomer and always take time to have a walk around the island - my favourite spot on the island being Skomer Head where the sea thrift makes for a spectacular sight.



Over the past few months I've been leaving my artwork in public places for someone to find and take home in the hope of spreading a little joy in this crazy world we live in.  After getting the boat back to the mainland I left this puffin watercolour in the car park for someone to find and take home as a souvenir of their day. Hopefully it is being enjoyed somewhere


This trip to Pembrokeshire was our second outing in Barry and I'm loving my little home from home.  Next trip will be to Rutland Water next week and then after that the Isle of Arran for my birthday weekend!  So much to look forward to!

3 comments:

  1. Sharon. Good to see you and Gary and BARRY are getting out to some wonderful places.Skomer looks fabulous as does the white puffin.Presumably you were osprey spotting in Aviemore.Looking forward to more from your travels with Barry. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Brian - good to hear from you - yes it was for the ospreys that we were in Aviemore

      Delete
  2. "Thank you for nice information
    Please visit our website unimuda and uhamka"

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, thank you so much for leaving a comment - I will always try to leave a reply and pop over to visit your blog if you have one - although sometimes I may be slower than others, have a wonderful day xx