Pages

Thursday 11 April 2013

Come Fly with Me

This is another watercolour done in memory of David Smith a photographer from PMP who sadly passed away last September.  It is one of my favourite photos of his of 2 black headed gulls in flight.


© Sharon Whitley the Rambling Artist
Come Fly with Me
in memory of David Smith


this is David's original photo
© David Smith

I've also got some very sad news to share - our beloved Carneddau ponies who can normally survive extreme weathers have had a particularly harsh time up in the mountains recently during the severe snow we've had here and at least 40 have perished. You can read more about it here - we were talking recently about how they would be coping in the severe weather as we often come across them on our walks - and now we know - so sad. You can read more about it in this article from Grough.  

This weekend Gary and I will hopefully be attempting the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge - the mountains of Pen y Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough on a 24 mile hike (weather permitting as the forecast looks a bit unsettled) - more about that on Sunday if we do it! In the meantime have a wonderful weekend whatever it is you're doing!

Sharon


12 comments:

  1. Your choice of background colour makes these beautifully rendered birds pop out at the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely painting of these birds Sharon, and what tragic news on the Ponies,how horrible it would have been for the people finding them

    ReplyDelete
  3. These birds in flight are quite spectacular and taken from a dramatic photograph. Weather not looking good for your Yorkshire Walk, but good luck and take care if you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are honoring your PMP friend by painting his photos, Sharon. And his photo is beautiful. I am so saddened to hear of the ponies. I cannot bring myself to read the article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've produced a superb painting from a cracking gull image Sharon.

    What sad news to hear about those poor ponies, unfortunately a lot of livestock has suffered due to this loooong cold winter we've been having! Hopefully the weather is starting to take a turn for the better now.

    Good luck up in those hills!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exquisite one, Sharon. I agree that your background really makes the gulls pop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to read about all the hardships the animals are enduring in the harsh weather. And so sorry for you in this cold spring! Do be careful on your hike this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this painting! The colours are very atmospheric and you are becoming a real master of watercolour!
    Good luck on the walk - I STILL (!!!) haven't started my training for Ben Nevis and am now in a mild state of panic! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW - It's not Babs Good (made that name up about 2 years ago whilst doing a self sufficiency blog!) it's Alison Stafford as in www.alisonstafford.com in case you were wondering who this strange randomer was talking about Ben Nevis!

      Delete
  9. I'm enjoying your art Sharon and I can't read the article about the ponies either. Always thought they were so rugged and adaptable

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such a brilliant painting and photo. I hope your walk this weekend goes well. From Findlay

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, thank you so much for leaving a comment - I will always try to leave a reply and pop over to visit your blog if you have one - although sometimes I may be slower than others, have a wonderful day xx