Pages

Thursday 1 November 2012

Now for something completely different.....


After painting nothing but birds for the last few weeks I'm having a play around with other subjects - so as Autumn is well and truly with us I thought I'd start with a little study of conkers.


Bonkers about Conkers
© Sharon Whitley

As some of you reading this will know from my last couple of  posts I've been away for a few days walking in the Lake District with Gary and despite it being rather a mixed bag weather wise we got some wonderful walks in, starting with the beautiful Cadair Idris on Saturday where we had great weather...

The glaciated bowl of Llyn Cau

Cadair Idris summit - Penygadair


We did a round of the Coniston Fells on Monday - 5 more Wainwrights completed and again, pretty good weather for most of the day...here I am on Grey Friar, with the mighty Scafells behind me.

Grey Friar with a Scafells backdrop

One of the things I always love seeing when walking in the Lake District are the local sheep, especially the tough Herdwicks or Herdys as they are more affectionately known......here is a particularly cute one....



 and I've also got a soft spot for Swaledales....how can you not love this face!


Both of these are contenders for future paintings, hopefully sooner rather than later so watch this space!

We ended our stay in the Lake District with a visit to Loweswater where we stayed with the lovely Ann and Roger Hiley of Loweswatercam  fame.  Here they are with a drawing I did of their dogs Harry and Bethan.  Take a look at their website to get to know them better and maybe buy one of their calenders (we did) in aid of Mountain Rescue.



The Hileys made us feel so welcome and really looked after us, freshly made bread, home made soup before a wet and windy walk up Low Fell (enabling me to tick off my 80th Wainwright fell) and a wonderful Greek themed supper - the first thing I did when I got home was get the bread maker out which has been hidden away in the cupboard for the last few years!


Holly enjoyed meeting Bethan and Harry, here they are on Low Fell looking down over Crummock Water



Thank you for reading and don't forget to leave a comment so I know you've popped by - have a wonderful day!

13 comments:

  1. beautiful painting and what outstanding photos! love the portrait too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the conkers! Autumn is full of painting subjects! I see another series coming on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photo's Sharon and I'm looking forward to seeing paintings of those sheep. Love the conkers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work on the conkers Sharon. Not easy with all those gorgeous warm browns mingling into one. Beautiful photos too. Lucky you to be able to see all that wonderful inspiring scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The conkers are great Sharol!! Such beautiful details and shades...
    I happy to know you had a good time at Lake District! It was a wish to visit when I was at Liverpool, but didn't happened eventually. oh well, better later than never... :)
    Hugs and Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to say the image of Bethan, Harry, and Holly is priceless. I'll take a look at Ann and Rogers website hen time allows.

    A lovely post again Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful little study. Lovely rich colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some spectacular photos here, what a great nature, and those sheep are just too cute :-) Love the conkers ... very well painted !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belle le castagne e spettacolari le foto,posti magnifici,simpaticissima la pecora locale!
    Buon weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impresionantes fotos de las montañas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous painting and gorgeous photos as usual. Looking forward to seeing your sheep portraits. I think I would've been tempted to bring that herdy home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those chestnuts Sharon! I bet the birds would not mind to try them too :)
    The mountains are amazing: what a strong side of Nature!
    Thank you for sharing,
    Irina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Sharon,
    What a wonderful shots with a great view over the mountains.
    Very nice to see how you've get the three dogs so quiet for the photo.
    Wonderful painting, that's very well done!!

    Many greeetings and have a good day,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, thank you so much for leaving a comment - I will always try to leave a reply and pop over to visit your blog if you have one - although sometimes I may be slower than others, have a wonderful day xx